Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Goodbye to a good friend



This is Mudge (when she was younger). She had to be put to sleep yesterday. Saturday the vet thought she was doing better, but then she stopped drinking water. At first I tried feeding her with a syringe and hoping that she'd start again. Tuesday after work she looked awful. She hardly moved, so I called the vet Wednesday when they opened. I couldn't get in until afternoon, but that gave my parents time to come. I was half aware that this was the end and half convinced she just needed an IV or medicine. The vet said she was dehydrated and that her mouth was ulcerated. Her stomach also hurt, which probably meant the cancer spread. She was in pain. So the best choice was putting her to sleep. We don't have anywhere to bury her because my parents rent their house, and I live in an apartment. The vet said the humane society has a cemetery that they will bury her in exchange for a donation, so I chose that. At least I will know where she is. 

I feel awful that I was a little relieved ( and still very sad) that she wasn't there lying on the floor when I got home last night like the past week. She had looked so tired and miserable. My other cat (the one in my profile picture) followed me around all night. I'm not sure if it's because she's gone or because I'm upset. Mudge was 16, so I had her for a good, long time. I got her as a kitten when I was 13. Odd (the other cat) is only 4ish, so he's still young. 

Anyway, I just wanted to update. That's all I have for now. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. Losing a beloved pet is awful, but at least she's not in pain anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry :( She's a beautiful kitten. It's such a hard choice to make, although the word 'choice' really isn't appropriate. I think animals definitely know there's someone missing. Billy definitely went into mourning with the rest of us when we lost our Silky a few years back.

    I think it's wonderful that they offer to bury her in exchange for a donation. I was gutted when my mum and brother automatically decided to have Silky cremated without retrieving the ashes, but I'd never even thought about it before. Sadly it means I've put too much thought into my existing fur babies' future passing.

    I'll be keeping you in my thoughts... Take care <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete