Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Work drama and kitten photos

So I haven't written much lately to complain about work.. there have been changes made that have drastically reduced my workload (specifically mine..). I am actually getting to leave by midnight most nights. This had nothing to do with my supervisor and his concern (supposedly he was concerned) about my hours. This was a change made by the big bosses to some of our policies.

There have been a lot of changes going on in the company. I think because we are growing and negotiating deals with new doctors and hospitals and expecting more samples soon. Because of that and who knows what else, they are wanting to track performance in every department. This is both speed/amount of work but also errors.

It's mildly frightening. Partly because I sit by the boss's desk and hear all sorts of conversations I probably shouldn't.. and a couple weeks ago another analyst got fired. I don't really know the circumstances of that, and I have not tried to find out.

Part of why it's frightening is because my supervisor has been in charge of designing the method of tracking our work, which is some very involved excel file. He talks about it ALL THE TIME. He did before he made it. He did while making it. He has since it is mostly done. This ranges from just talking about the technical aspects to discussing how he wants to design it to be fair or to make everyone look good.. because he doesn't want anyone to get fired. When he talks about those things, it is nice to know he doesn't want anyone to get fired. It is not nice that he likes to imply frequently that there's a risk of that. He's gone so far as to talk out loud about who he's concerned about and how to make people look better.. and how we need to give certain people more work to improve their numbers. Again ALL THE TIME... either about people or explaining it to people.

I told him to stop at least once because I don't want to constantly be thinking about how we're being graded. I said this because I know it wasn't just bothering me. Someone has told him to stop talking about other people out loud when they're in the same damn room as him.. like they don't need to hear about how poorly they're doing while they work. Even if it's jokingly or sarcastic, you know he isn't entirely joking.

Thankfully he was out of town yesterday and today, so I heard less of it.. but then he stressed out the person who was in charge in his absence so much that she was worrying about who needed to improve their numbers. It's sick.

And I really don't think there's a threat to anyone's job right now. Samples are getting closed in a reasonable amount of time. Sometimes there just isn't enough work.. but people are working. Nobody is really being threatened right now I think, so he is just making this all seem so much worse than it is.

But in happier news.. my family is getting along pretty well now. The kitten and Odd sleep on the bed. They've chased each other around a bit, and I've broken it up a couple times because while I can tell they're playing, I don't think he realizes he's five times her size.. or maybe I'm just paranoid. Chasing is fine, but if he pins her down then I make them stop.

This is just her being cute.. 


 I have no idea what is up with my phone's camer and the terrible color of all the photos.. Sorry. But anyway.. bedtime.


And then after a chase. You can see the size difference.. he's a pretty big cat. Sometimes I carry her around just so that I won't step on her accidentally or kick her.. it's just easier that way. Plus, she will sometimes decide to climb my pants if I don't pick her up when she wants me to. She has sharp little claws. .

2 comments:

  1. KITTEEEEEEENNNNNN!!! She is super adorbs!! My older cat, Gremlin did NOT like the younger one... well actually it's two years later and he still doesn't. But they have learned to live with each other and don't fight quite as much as they used to. So I see this as a positive thing. :)

    Re: Your work, I went through this about a year ago, it's a really horrible stressful environment to be in and sorry you have to go through it too.

    Stay strong! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cats make life better (not bosses, obviously).

    ReplyDelete