Sunday, January 26, 2020

Still fighting

I am sorry I haven't been active. I guess I thought my posts were repetitive. I have since my last post gotten settled in a new house with my parents and found a new job. My insurance changed and my new therapist encouraged journalling. 

My eating disorder and self harm are still pretty much gone. My drinking is not. I had one major binge that resulted in me falling several times and many bruises and maybe a broken nose (never saw a doctor) and one where I blacked out and couldn't remember most of the day. Otherwise, I am drinking less. I missed a couple days of work with that first binge and also had to wear a lot of makeup because I work at a veterinary clinic and the vet asked about my nose and if I had an X ray. 

My parents have confronted me a few times about the drinking, but they haven't suggested inpatient. Honestly, I would go if money wasn't an issue. Most of the time they act like everything is fine. They are still arguing a lot, which is a big trigger. They're in therapy, but I feel like it's not helping. I would be a hypocrite if I questioned it. 

I now work in the kennel at a veterinary clinic. I love the animals.. the people are a challenge. I got a rough start because I had only worked a few days before calling in sick or leaving early because the drinking made me too weak to work. I feel like no one talks about (or maybe experiences) how a drinking binge leaves you unable to spend time not in bed. This meant I felt awkward around everyone and didn't feel comfortable talking to them. I work a lot with a guy who is lazy and expects me to do most of the work. Other people have noticed and talked to the owner/vet about it. One person has told me to boss him around, but they don't pay me enough to supervise someone who has worked there longer than me. I just pick up the slack and hope they can see how hard I am working. The vet recently told me how good I am doing. I still feel drawn to work with animals. I think my life helps me understand their anxiety. I have had validation when a dog I affectionately called a little jerk (it's all about tone of voice) always wanted to be with me and barked to keep other dogs away from me. I talk to them because it seems reassuring. I am not as rough with them as one guy is. I give them a kiss on the forehead if they are good for their bath. I am still a cat person because cats are low maintenance and independent, but the dog cuddles seriously keep me going. I actually feel like I am good at this, but I don't think it pays enough to live on. I am thinking about becoming a vet tech. That or I need a job that would make it possible to have my own place and more rescue cats. 

So I will try to update more. I think it helps me organize my thoughts. I just want to get to where I enjoy life and don't just function. 

1 comment:

  1. Please don’t avoid posting just because you think it’s repetitive. It helps you, and that’s what’s most important.

    The potential broken nose is scary. I hope you’ll consider getting an X-ray if something like that happens again.

    The cost of healthcare in some places makes me so mad, especially for inpatient treatment programs that can save lives.

    I’m glad you’re in a job that you’re finding fulfilling. I guess every workplace will have some bad eggs, but at least you’ve got the animals to brighten things up a bit. Dog cuddles are one of the most pure feelings in the world. Vet tech sounds like a really good next step. Maybe that can be a goal for when the drinking is a bit more under control?


    Take care of yourself <3

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete