Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Playing well with others...

So work today was absolute hell. Things have been getting worse lately for a variety of reasons (some related to the actual work and some to the people).

I will start with the actual work and hope not to lose you with boring details. So since I started in February we have tested for a certain list of medications/drugs, and not really added any (I swear at least one was added without anyone commenting about it but anyway). For a month at least it has been known that things were going to change. They were going to add a significant number of new medications. Most of these are psychiatric medications that doctors may want to test patients for... several I currently take which makes me a tad nervous (seroquel and wellbutrin at the moment) for some reason. Anyway this makes the work a lot more complicated because there's a lot more medications to remember soon.. the machines are acting poorly and producing a lot of false positives which some analysts caught and removed but I was stuck until 1AM fixing mistakes of those who didn't one day.. Also they split up the sets of drugs into different sets that are run separately, and that complicated how they are re-run.. and reruns are the majority of my job and that is the other reason I have been there past midnight 2 days in a row. So that's the work side..

The people side..
Mistakes are a problem.. some people are in training and only kinda responsible for what they do. But some of what I was fixing Tuesday night was people who should know better or should have known to ask the toxicologist in charge. They kept results that were bad or they re-ran results that should just have been thrown out. And then there's the drugs split into separate sets (A B and C) that they have been ordering the wrong set to be rerun. It's not that hard to look carefully at the list. But I am trying to keep this primarily to myself. More will be mentioned in a moment.

Today..
I usually get there before my supervisor. This is annoying. For a while, I was hourly and he was salary, so it bothered me less.. now we're both salaried so I am not being paid any more than he is if he's late.. The day shift supervisor will give me messages to relay to him if he's not there when she leaves, which is why this bugs me. Or she'll tell me everything, and then have to repeat it anyway. Today she tells me that Sunday her shift is going to have to work in the morning because they are unable to work on Saturday because they are doing something to the computer system, and this means our shift will have to work Sunday evening rather than Sunday day... and to tell my supervisor. I say ok and that I normally work the evening anyway. We talk about some other stuff.. I ask questions about exactly what hours and about certain people who only work weekends, so I can give details. Then my supervisor gets there. I then sort of gesture for her to tell him because really I didn't want to have to relay this (I knew this wasn't going to go well). He gets upset.. and goes on about how she's taking his only evening with his family. I don't remember what else.. but basically has a little tantrum (this is not abnormal behavior). She leaves upset. I pick up my work and say I'm taking a desk in another room and go out there. He is all upset and starts crying (honestly). I see the day shift supervisor talking to a few people outside in the break room.. I sit at my desk..

There's some more talking back and forth.. the day supervisor is upset about this because basically he is being an ass to her and it's not her decision (it's our boss's). He's being an ass to everyone at this point actually.

The next drama is that I come across one of those bad results made by someone in training and comment on it to someone else sitting in the hall (outside the analyst room) and she says I should say something. I say I don't want to go back in there is my supervisor is still acting like that. She says she'll go and takes the case. She comes back and says that the trainee doesn't believe that he made the mistake and I need to go tell him. Wtf? I hesitate.. I get up and sit down because I don't do conflict. She decides to go tell someone the situation.. this other woman who is sort of our boss? and also kinda terrifying. Like I was more scared of her when I was hired than anyone else in the company. Anyway, she comes back and says we're having a meeting about respect. So I get dragged into the analyst room with everyone, and she tells everyone how those that are newer need to respect those that have been there longer and how different people including her or our supervisor or me or anyone may tell them about mistakes and they need to be respectful and make eye contact and listen. She then pulls my supervisor aside to talk about something and he has to pull aside another analyst who is a total bitch.. and I don't know what else because I go back to my desk and work.

And the conclusion about work being more complicated is that we should intentionally leave some unfinished to prove to the big bosses that it can't be finished as quickly as they want right now with the changes to the protocols. They also decided we should have a meeting with day and night shift tomorrow, which is normally my day off.. so I get to go in for that. Basically about how we all need to get along. Everyone else left before midnight again and left whatever work they left.. I was there until 12:30 again.. people who work overnight in the lab asked why I was still there again.. I told one the full story about the drama.. and another that I was going home soon. And just basically that with tomorrow (today actually now) being my day off I wanted to leave less work. I'm mainly afraid of either 1. them calling me wanting me to come to work since I'm available to come to the meeting or 2. Friday being absolute hell because I wasn't there.. they always bitch when I'm gone a day.

I will say.. I feel better about myself based on their responses.. I like the "why are you still here?" and the recognition that I'm the only one left.. or at 1am offering to walk me to my car since it's so late. At least I get recognition. I casually mentioned to the day supervisor going home at 1. She asked why we went home so late, and I said it was me. They went home around midnight and I just wanted to finish another plate.. she finally said she should designate someone in her shift to do reruns, and it was the sanest thing I heard today..

Oh and because I worked past midnight, I haven't purged in 2 days. So that's good. Before that, I had been binging/purging nightly. Going to the store at 11pm and binging until 1 or 2am and then going to bed at 3 or 4.. obviously haven't started going to bed earlier, but I haven't binged or purged

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you post again. I'm glad you aren't B/Ping lately. <3

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why can't grown ups just play nice, at least at work?

    And working until 1am without getting the respect you deserve would drive me nuts!

    ReplyDelete