Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Dear vodka,

I was supposed to write a goodbye letter to alcohol for IOP.. It's supposed to be about when you started drinking, what bad things happened as a result of your drinking, and a goodbye to the substance. I am not sure I wrote exactly what they want. I thankfully have an individual session with the therapist before group. I might run it by him to see if it is appropriate to read in group. I just felt like being honest for once, and the honest answer is that I am not committed to recovery. I am giving it a try, but I obsess daily over getting vodka. But anyway... feedback is welcome. I wrote like 3 versions of this, and I think this is the final one


Dear Vodka, 
I remember how you came into my life. I was struggling to adapt to the stress of grad school. I had been struggling with depression for a decade at least. I tried to fix it with cutting and with bulimia. Those things never worked for long. I found you, and even at the beginning it was not a healthy relationship. I knew I didn't drink normally. I didn’t drink for taste or for fun. I drank to get rid of my feelings.
But you took the pain away. I got that numbness I searched for. I didn't have to feel lonely anymore. You gave me a way to erase all the anxiety and anger and sadness. You drowned out the constant obsessive, destructive thoughts. You kept me alive when I wanted to die. When I left you, all the destructive behaviors came back. I tried sobriety multiple times, but I always sunk back into depression. I always went back to you eventually.
You hurt me in so many ways. Many nights I would black out and wake up with bruises. My body suffered. I couldn’t keep down food. I was so weak that my legs would give out climbing the stairs. My hands would shake. My eyes turned yellow. All I really did was drink and sleep. You hurt my mind. I was forgetful. I became paranoid that everyone could look at me and know I was crazy. I became incapable of controlling my feelings sober. I cried over tiny things. I became incredibly anxious about everything. You made me impulsive. I had never needed stitches until I cut drunk. It became impossible to keep up with my medications, and it didn’t matter because they know longer worked.
I lost everything: my job, my car, my apartment, my independence. I was a drunken, emotional mess who couldn’t handle any part of my life. I no longer spoke to friends. I left grad school. I was terrified to go out in public, to check my mail, to answer my phone. I moved in with my parents, and there were so many arguments. They threatened to kick me out more than once. I tried treatment after treatment. I knew it was hopeless. I tried more than once to kill myself. You kept me alive.
I cannot imagine life with you or without you. If I drink, I will lose any little thing I have left. I know you will kill me eventually. It might be soon or it could be much later. Without you, I am left with the depression and anxiety and the obsessive thoughts. I chose sobriety because others wanted me to. They wanted me to continue to seek treatment that I am not certain will make any difference. I am depressed. I am tired. I don’t see any hope.
For now I will say goodbye to you. I have to give this a try. That way in the end I can at least say that I gave recovery a shot. I at least tried.

1 comment:

  1. You're giving the vodka way too much credit. YOU are what has kept you alive - believe it or not. You are the one who has tried SO MANY coping skills and keeps trying. I know it's hard to see right now, but there is a part of you that wants this. That has a little hope.
    I think this letter is perfect for a group session - I hope they are supportive of you. It's never easy to say goodbye. I'm not a fan of the whole idea of being this fierce warrior fighting against your disease. It's not that simple and it's not that black and white. Sometimes you want recovery and get really angry at the illness and other days, you mourn that you are no longer able to numb out everything. I think your honesty is what will get you some progress. And managing expectations (both yours and others). I know this is corny AF, but this has helped me - I try and think of my day and do what they used to make us do in treatment - find the worst part and the best part and something I'm grateful for. I feel like every treatment center makes you do that, but now I realize sometimes they had a point (you mean they weren't just trying to be annoying?!?!).

    Well, sorry for the long response. Hope your sharing goes well!

    ReplyDelete