Friday, October 7, 2016

To tell the truth?

I am still not feeling entirely well. I spent last night throwing up after spending the day laying on my parent's couch trying to sleep. I finally gave up on food and just had a few shots and went to bed.

Today physically I am a bit better. My body doesn't hurt as much. I ate lunch before work and brought cereal for dinner. I swear that when I was walking across the parking lot, I thought I might cry. I just felt like I was sinking.

I held it together ok until I was leaving. My supervisor asked how I was doing and said that he knows I wasn't feeling well the other day. I said I was ok. I could tell he didn't believe me. I mean I am back to having spots and scabs all over my face from picking at it while I am at work. I also hesitated a little too long feeling I should say something more, but I couldn't come up with something. I wanted to say something about the other night, but I am afraid he's already assumed it was alcohol related. It might have been, or I might have had a virus. I thought about saying I have been stressed, but I don't know if it makes any difference admitting it. I don't think I should say that I think I came back to work too soon or that my depression is worse and I am afraid I will just end up back in the hospital. I don't think I should say that I cried my first day back and cut myself when I went home. I don't know what to say. So I said I am ok and I left. I have been playing through ways I could have answered ever since, but I don't know. It feels pointless. I don't want to admit to the drinking. I don't want to admit to feeling hopeless. I don't want to make it worse, but I am not sure lying isn't also making it worse. I know I can't hide it entirely. I know from his face he is already concerned. I want to talk about it, but I am still terrified of losing the job because I really think I would kill myself if I did. So for now I am just saying I am fine and thinking over what to do. He wants to help, but I don't know how he can. It feels hopeless. So I left feeling like crying all over again. I also don't know if they talk about me when I am not there. Are they all concerned or are does the manager think I am better. I don't know. I won't unless she says something.

I think what I want to say is that being back has been a lot harder than I expected. That I am not sure I was totally ready. I am not eating enough because the stress is killing my appetite. I am sleeping poorly. I am doing the best I can, whether that's good enough or not. If he specifically asks about drinking, what I can say (because it is true) is that I have not and will not drink at a time or in any way that would compromise the quality and accuracy of my work. I wouldn't be this stressed all the time if I didn't care about not making mistakes. I would prefer not to discuss the drinking at all, but saying that might sound bad. I may or may not be able to say any of that. I have until Monday before I see him again. I am just hoping for a reasonably smooth weekend.

Editing this later. I might have been stupid and cut my wrist again. It's bleeding more than expected but should be fine. I have pressure on it and hope not to need to see a doctor. I am such an idiot. I should know better than to use that knife when drunk.

It's mostly stopped bleeding, but I am an idiot.

2 comments:

  1. *hugs*
    You're not an idiot. You're struggling, and your judgement was probably impaired from drinking, but that does not make you an idiot.

    Skin picking sucks, especially when it's on your face. Not judging by any means - I do it too. I always worry people will think I'm on ice or something :-/

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete