Monday, August 25, 2014

Anxious

Sitting here anxious for a variety of reasons.

1. The simplest reason is that I start teaching today, which always makes me anxious. It's ridiculous because I have taught this course 5 times and have never been criticized by my boss. Actually, it's annoying that because she likes me so much, she tends to give me extra work even though I am not paid more than anyone else.

2. My car is messed up. Not sure the exact problem. This may not make sense if you've never driven a car with a manual transmission. I went to my sponsor's house yesterday and it was perfectly fine on the way there. I go to leave and manage to reverse a little and drive a bit intending to make a u-turn. I go to shift into reverse, and it won't. After that, I could move the gearshift in all directions, but it was clearly not actually going into any gear (if you haven't driven a manual, there are not visible markings of the 5 gears, but you can feel them). I turned the car off and restarted it, same thing. After doing that a couple times, I was able to get it to at least shift into first and second, so I managed to pull over to the side of the road where I could park the car. Basically, it would let me shift into 1st, 2nd, and I think 3rd and 4th, but not 5th or reverse. The gearshift would not move further right.

I sat for a bit and then called my Dad. I tried explaining this, which was a bit difficult since he couldn't see it. It was decided that I could walk home (5 minute walk) and my parents would call me again. They decided to both drive to my apartment (about an hour away) in both their cars, so my mom could leave hers with me to drive to school until mine is fixed. Today my dad is coming and we're getting the car towed to a repair place. I am really hoping it isn't an expensive repair. I looked online, and it sounds like there's a connection between the clutch and transmission that's not working. The question then would be how hard it is to replace. It's obviously not the clutch, since I could shift gears and drive some. It's not the actual transmission for the same reason. I am so clueless about cars

Update: car is at transmission place. Now just waiting to find out what they say


3. Since my dad is coming, I am stuck at home waiting.. and I need (well, want) to go to the liquor store because I don't know if I'll be able to after I teach because I told my sponsor I'd go to the 8pm meeting. My class is scheduled 5pm-7:50. It probably won't take that long, but next monday is a holiday (labor day), so we have to cover 2 weeks worth of material.. which is not a lot, but it gets complicated trying to get it all done, and my brain gets kinda scattered doing this. Somehow, I've ended up with Monday labs several times, and in either fall or spring semesters, the 2nd monday is a holiday (in spring I think it's memorial day)

Update: I have vodka

4. I don't feel well. I'm not sure why... it's either my allergies and if I'm not taking anything for them I get nauseous. Or it's from drinking last night, which normally doesn't make me sick in the morning. Sometimes my blood sugar also gets low in the morning.. or at least that's what I assume explains this, and if I don't eat by a certain time I start feeling sick. Then it's annoying because eating should theoretically fix this, but eating is hard to manage.

Anyway, I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I still feel nauseous. I am really hoping it doesn't get worse. I took some nausea medicine, and it didn't help. Honestly it rarely does because it has a really strong cherry flavor, and strong flavors are not great for nausea. I also have some prescription nausea medicine (also has a gross flavor), but I am avoiding that because I don't have a lot of it. Actually, I'll probably take it because I really don't want to throw up and have to eat again. It took me a long time to manage the sandwich.

Update: Stopped at the pharmacy and got allergy medication on the way home from the liquor store

5. Only a tiny bit anxious, but my boss sent me an email that if I get to school before 5, she wants to talk to me for a few minutes. I think it's just because I did email her some questions on what order to teach things in today. I just always get anxious when she wants to talk to me.

There's probably other reasons I'm not thinking of. I'm sitting around for a bit and will probably go to school around 3. I need to make copies and set up the classroom (well mostly write stuff on the chalkboard and make sure the computer and projector are working), which I always do super early because it makes me less anxious than if I do it right before class

No comments:

Post a Comment