Monday, August 25, 2014

School day 1

Well, I woke up around 10:30-11. Got up. Showered and managed eventually eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (see last post to understand this challenge). Went to school around 2pm. Parked in a non-campus spot since my mom's car has no parking permit, and I haven't actually purchased one for my car anyway.

My boss (the lab coordinator) had emailed me that she wanted to talk for 5 minutes and to text her when I got to school. I texted her.. normally she would then text me when she wasn't busy or come find me in the office I share with other graduate assistants (which is where I would probably be).

I waited a while (an hour or so) and got no text. I went by her office a few times and she wasn't there. I waited a while and when I went by (multiple times over an hour) and her door was shut. I teach at 5, so around 4:30 I went to my classroom. The previous GA (graduate assistant)  was waiting for someone who had a key to lock the room (we are supposed to keep it locked so nobody takes equipment to make meth). I locked it after I went in. I don't like students being more than 15 minutes early.

I checked the room. I found the papers I needed to give them. I got a text that my boss would meet me in the classroom. She got there about 15 minutes before my class. I found out that she was there at that time to change the teaching schedule. She wanted me to go from teaching 3 sections (times) of the same lab to teaching 2 and spending 10 hours a week helping set up the lab.

This sounds like a reasonable idea except I have only once had to do the lab prep\setup during the summer, and it drove me crazy. I had a list of things to do, and I always finished it early and would email her asking what to do. She would reply at times that I had a to-do list, and I'd have to explain I finished that.

So I explained I'd rather teach 3 sections than do any prep. This was not what she wanted, but eventually decided I'd replace another GA and he would prep. He's done it before and was fine with it. Plus, I also know one semester I covered for him and his students liked me more... not a judgment on him, but we teach different.. so I was not worried about taking over that class. Eventually, this was all settled. Instead of teaching one class Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I teach 2 on Monday and 1 Wednesday, and this better in my opinion.

Anyone.. this was all in the 15 minutes before my class, so they were let in at the last minute. She (my boss) introduced herself and talked a bit. They had an activity to do that basically involved a quiz they worked on in groups about class policies. I had to clarify questions and explain some extra details. That eventually worked fine

I am supposed to take roll to be sure everyone should be there. I hate mispronouncing names, and there are always some I can't manage. I should have 19 students, and there were 19 there. I assumed I could just look at the names on the quizzes they turned in (not really what I am supposed to do).

Class was ok.. it is so scattered on the Monday before a holiday because it's a lot to cover. After almost 3 hours, I had covered the material but not done all activities. They took the quizzes.

After class, I checked and 1 student was missing that was on the roster. 1 was there who was not on my roster... this can mean someone was in the wrong place, or that someone dropped or registered at the last minute. This is my mistake, and I will deal with it tomorrow.

I was exhausted after all this. Normally, teaching one class isn't bad.. it's the combination of teaching 2 weeks of material in one week plus sitting around waiting to talk to my boss. I got done around 7:40pm and had told my sponsor I'd be at the 8pm meeting. So I went to the meeting, but I hadn't eaten since before noon so I was starving and a bit nauseous from not eating. I had a bottle of water and some of the peanut butter crackers in my purse during the meeting. I was embarrassed to have anyone really notice I was eating so this all amounted to a pb&j sandwich around 11am and 3 crackers with peanut butter at 8pm

This was annoying because after a while of not eating, no food sounds good except some snack things like popsicles. I had to go to the grocery store. I bought diet soda and some flavored sparkling water I use as a chaser for the vodka. No actual dinner sounded good. I bought one frozen meal hoping it would be ok.

I got home at almost 10pm. The frozen meal did not sound good. I had bought chocolate milk, and I had that since it sounded ok. I could not bring myself to eat what I bought but managed to eat something I had in the freezer.

I waited until after that to drink the vodka I had because I had to have something in my stomach to drink and not vomit. I have magaged 16 shots + a frozen meal + an ice cream sandwich + some candy. The candy and ice cream were things that sounded ok and that helped the nausea between shots.

I have more to say but not energy tonight. I will say more after tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment