Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A random animal post

I realized most of what I've been doing is bitching about my life (by the way if you're offended by swearing you may not want to read my blog) and I see people post about happy things like pets and family. I decided I should give you guys (whoever actually reads this)  a little more info about me

Starting with pets because I have more pictures of them than myself.
I have 2 cats of very different ages
This is Mudge. Her name is from a series of children books I liked that were Henry and Mudge.. though Mudge was a big dog in the book. It was a choice of that or Abby. When I met her, I realized Abby didn't fit.
 She was a weird kitten. A friend's mom worked at a vet clinic. One of the techs found 3 kittens abandoned in a box. She bottle fed them, so she was very friendly. I was 13 and went to see the 3 kittens. She and her brother looked almost the same. Her sister was a grey tabby. Her brother was under a table, and Mudge wouldn't let him come out. My theory was that if she was that brave she could handle the family dog.
 This is later. Also a different dog. We got our first dog Cal (after Cal Ripken because my brother named him). We got him when I was 5 and he passed away when I was a senior in high school. This is Katy. We got her later that summer. She's a bizarre dog, but that would have to be a separate discussion. Mudge used to attempt to beat up the dogs. Trying to chew on Cal's neck. Play wrestle. By the way, Katy is named Katy because when we adopted her she was named Candy, which I said sounds like a stripper name, so Katy sounded alike and we went with that

She is now 13, and I am terrified she will die soon... I've had her since she was 8 weeks old. I'm 27, so I've had her half my life. She's my princess

This is Odd. Technically, Odd Thomas after a series of Dean Koontz books. I moved into my current apartment in 2011. I had decided that since I lived alone I could get a 2nd cat. I wanted a kitten and honestly he was the only kitten in the shelter, but I loved him. He was super hyper and playful. He still is. Only annoying thing is that he constantly leaves toys in the water bowl. One of them turned the water pink, which was weird when I saw it.

He and Mudge tolerate each other. He has more energy, and she has a bit of arthritis. She can still beat him if he bugs her. He jumped into his carrier to get away, and she made him stay there. If he starts the play fight, I don't stop her. They don't ever do actual damage.

She was sick a few months ago. I had made a bed out of a heating pad and blankets by my desk. He laid next to her while she was there.

Also, that is me in the pictures. They're not really recent. Mostly, my hair is longer and it's darker now. I love dyeing my hair. I do it myself because I don't feel like spending a ton of money. I usually wait until my roots are obvious. I always pick a different color. Sometimes it's because I can't remember what I used last, but sometimes I want lighter or redder or darker. I go and stare at the dyes until I think the employees think I'm nuts. I've been dyeing it since college. People used to actually believe I had red hair. Customers at my job would compliment it. I had a few failed attempts. It turned out bright red (think the color of a red marker), but I was young enough it was ok.

I'll add one more
This is Penny. Katy found a turtle in my parents back yard. To get her away from it, I put her in their garden (it has a fence around it). My mom decided to keep him/her. At some point the turtle got out and ended up under some bushes. I've never been sure it's the same turtle, but one of them had to be a girl, but my mom thinks the adult turtle is male. Penny hatched in their garden. I found her. At first she just looked like a rock but then I realized it was a baby turtle. Now both turtles live there.

This is her growth chart. Top is when I found her. Second is last spring. The last is this spring. They bury themselves and hibernate all winter. My mom is always absolutely convinced they got our or something until she finds them. Penny is hard to find. But Katy (the dog) has an odd talent for finding turtles. Can't find a treat you throw her, but she can find the turtles even if they're buried. She doesn't try to eat them, but she does lick them which I don't think the appreciate.

My mom actually planted part of the garden to be the turtle area. It has their water, plants there for shade, and then she honestly planted strawberries just for them. She also buys fruit to feed them. Leonard (the adult) likes red things. He eats the tomatoes and red peppers off the plants and they both eat strawberries. I honestly saw him standing up eating a tomato off the plant.

So that's my random pet story. I probably will post about me eventually.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, what a great post. I love reading about people's pets. The turtles are adorable!

    My babies are a 11/12 year old silky x shih tzu, Billy, and a 3 year old grey tabby, Misty. I don't write about or post photos of them as much as I should - and I really should considering Billy's my little shadow and Misty lives on my lap.

    I know that feeling of being terrified of losing an animal soon, especially as they get older. Bill's had a lot of health issues and surgeries over the years and he's doing surprisingly well, but it put things in perspective last January when we lost our 13 yo Silky. I'd never lost a pet before and it was devastating. I'm too scared to get more pets because I'm so afraid of losing them, but I know I have to get past that.

    It's nice to see pictures of yourself, too :) Thank you for sharing. I always consider it a privilege to be able to put a face to a name. I love dying my hair too and have always done it myself - I hate, hate, hate hairdressers. I used to vary the colors but I've had one shade of red or another for years now.

    And sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your comment, but I've seen that Hyberbole & a Half comic before and love it! It's so, so accurate. I've never really read any of the other comics, funnily enough, just the one about depression.


    xxBella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when we lost our dog when I was in high school. It was really hard, but we did decide after a while to get another dog. I'm hoping I'll be able to handle losing Mudge when it happens. I'm also very good at convincing myself she'll live for many more years. It seems better than focusing on her dying a lot. Having Odd around has helped.

      I do think I'll settle on a hair color eventually. I'm not sure when/if I'll stop dying it. It's been so long since it was its natural color. I hate hairdressers too.. staring at my own face and having to make small talk with a stranger. It would be better if they didn't talk.

      I'm slowly working my way through the Hyperbole and a Half book that was published last year. I bought it then but never read it. Since you like animals, the one other I'd suggest if you're ever bored (it's a bit long) is about moving with her 2 dogs http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html

      Delete