Friday, June 20, 2014

Fired

So I got fired today.... my first response was anger, then crying, then relief.

Today.. I get to work at 8:50. The new guy is there but not my boss. I start working on something.. I think the computer program I'm doing. She comes in and she tells me that the DNA samples I was supposed to help send off Monday.. 2 didn't get sent and how they had to overnight them and it cost $100 (they have several machines worth tens of thousands of dollars). I feel bad.. though I'm thinking (and figure it's best not to say) that I was not the only one pipetting samples and how do I know it was one I had picked up.

I do worry I'm getting fired.. but then the day starts. I finish my program, and it works. They set up some DNA extraction. Then I get sent off to clean.. not just straighten up. Wash tables and counters with bleach. Clean the toxicology lab that 1. I don't work in and 2. Is filthy.. like gross. After a while she tells me we're all going to lunch and we'll work on the DNA after. I sit in the break room and my boss asks if I'm hungry because there's leftovers and I chat with some people (don't eat) and go back.

We do DNA quantification and she actually lets me watch/help. Then we do some other stuff and I get asked to pipette water and then clean some more. Then she criticizes that the barcodes on stuff don't line up perfectly and makes me do all kinds of shit because the crazy manager is doing a cleanliness check. He honestly comes in later with a white glove on and points out all the dust. She doesn't say anything during.. and one of the guys does point out I/we weren't supposed to touch the toxicology equipment (which scares me because it's noisy and I don't know what it's doing).

Then I'm left to clean all the dust. Note.. there is a cleaning woman who is very nice and hardworking but wasn't told to clean either.

I go to leave and the managers pull me in and tell me that it's just not working out and about the samples. Note: this is technically the exact same issue they mentioned Monday not any additional actions. I don't cry (yay me) and calmly explain how I think it's ridiculous I was thrown in with no training on equipment I've never used. Then I got my stuff and left. Then I cried a lot.

I called my mom because I think you're supposed to in these circumstances. I cry and try to explain while crying. I also say how much I hated this job and how fucked up this was. I go over to my parents house and cry and bitch. And my mom and I both agree this is bullshit and this job was awful. I am honestly grateful not to work there, but money scares me. I can probably make it through this month... but the unknown.. so tonight and tomorrow I am going to drink about being fired. Then I'll deal with that

No comments:

Post a Comment