Thursday, March 31, 2016

Cooking!

I decided over the weekend to offer to cook dinner for my parents. We usually go out to eat when I visit.. They still believe I am fully vegan when I have lapsed into vegetarian. It limits where we eat, so cooking seemed a good choice. I have not cooked in a while.. in my kitchen I only use the microwave and oven. Mainly recently I eat frozen food.. fries, Gardein tenders, etc.

So cooking was a big deal. I obsessed for days over recipes. I didn't consider the alcohol withdrawal. Tremors + cooking = bad. I thought the Ativan would be enough, but I had to go to the grocery store for more rice noodles.. and I bought a single serving container of wine (Moscato). I drove back to my parent's house and drank that in my car. The combination was enough to chop vegetables with no major problems.

It was pretty fun. I prepped everything (green beans, tofu, red pepper, garlic) before they got home. My dad ended up doing the stir frying part because he wanted to us the giant wok that goes with their charcoal grill. So I delivered things to him outside and he did the frying. I had hoped for this honestly because I've never owned a wok. But I pressed and marinated the tofu. I cut all the veggies. I made the sauce. It turned out great.

If anyone cares, this is what we made http://joanne-eatswellwithothers.com/2014/08/drunken-noodles-tofu-peppers.html

It was fun. I kept the withdrawals to a minimum. I also brought dairy free Ben&Jerry's for after dinner. That was awesome. Probably a bonding experience. Now I am cooking quinoa in not chicken broth (Pacific makes vegetarian chicken broth) for work lunches.

My kitchen is still a bit too messy to use the stove, so cooking at my parent's was nice. I think that inspired me to try making quinoa at home.
I've been eating junk food because that helps the vodka stay down. I want to try quitting again this weekend. I haven't called my sponsor because I didn't want to stop. I feel like I should tell someone that I am at least passively suicidal. Maybe Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! Good on you for challenging yourself with cooking. I know you do tend to lean towards things you can just chuck in the microwave or eat without the prep. You needn't explain what a big deal it was for you.

    The stir-fry sounds amazing. There's something special about eating as a family, especially when you've all helped cook. Unfortunately it causes more arguments than not here at the moment.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stir fry is about the only thing I'm good at; chuck some veggies and chicken together :D

    Passive suicidal is almost as bad as actively suicidal, because there is such a small step between them. You probably should tell someone (said the pot to the kettle).

    ReplyDelete