Wednesday, May 11, 2016

And that happened *TW*

So today was not much better than yesterday (see last post). Warning that this talks about self harm.
Around 2 this morning I had the brilliant drunken idea to cut myself. I honestly am only doing it once a week, which is much better than some periods in the past. Well of course I cut deeper than intended.. enough I was fairly certain I needed stitches. Well, this is after I had been drinking for a couple hours, so I was definitely not able to drive to the hospital. I also didn't want to wake any friends up to take me, and it seemed ridiculous to call an ambulance for a still fairly small cut. I managed eventually to get it mostly closed and bandaged and went to bed.

This morning I went to the liquor store and then the pharmacy to buy more bandages and those butterfly closure things. I get to work and it's opened up again. I try repeatedly to get it to stay closed. I finally go outside and call this urgent care place. I basically ask if it's been too many hours since it happened to get it stitched. They said they would have to look but there's not really a limit.

So I pull my supervisor aside. He had actually asked earlier if I was OK, and I kinda shrugged. Now (while mostly staring at the floor) tell him I need to get stitches and it would probably be too late after work. He said of course to get it taken care of and no need to discuss where the cut came from. I got someone to take my work and awkwardly left. One of my coworkers said something and I said it was just a doctor thing.

I went to an urgent care place not a hospital because 1. I figured it would be faster 2. No risk of a psychiatrist wanting to put me in a psych ward. This is how it went
Idiotic tech asks me where the cut came from and where it was. I say I did it and upper arm . She says "how did you get a knife up there?" And then "were you trying to dig something out?" And then thankfully leaves. I mean WTF? She comes back with nice doctor. At this point I was in just a tank top and she starts asking questions and starts looking at other scars. I do my best to sound like I'm not that depressed and see a doctor who knows I cut. I think I lost when she asked if there were any on my wrists and turned it over and saw those scars. She asks if I wanted to be transferred somewhere they could do a psychiatric consultation. I say no. She gives me 4 stitches and a prescription for antibiotics. A nurse puts on a dressing and I sit around waiting for forms. She comes back and says they want me to sign a form that I am discharging against medical advice since I won't let them transfer me to some kind of psych facility. I sign it because obviously that's not happening, and I go back to work. I was only gone about 2 hours. Nobody comments on the bright orange bandage around my arm, which I quickly decided I was not willing to wear at work and switch out for one of the ones in my purse (it's stocked with several varieties of bandaids actually). My supervisor doesn't say anything and I worked the rest of the shift.
I just did not expect that kind of doctor to make a huge deal of this and am glad again I didn't go to a hospital with psychiatrists around. The nurse when she gave me the AMA form was going on about how they don't want me to die and looked worried. It was not even a very big cut. Oh well.. I needed it done. Hopefully they won't react that way when I go back to get them taken out.

4 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you ended up getting treatment for the cuts. I was worried after your last post. It's really good that your supervisor was so understanding.

    I'll try to find the stitch glue to find a name. A doctor in A&E gave me a tube ages ago, but I'm sure it's available at pharmacies or somewhere. Obviously getting a doctor to look at it is best, but I know that's not always an option, for whatever reason. In my experience, waiting for stitches just makes the wound difficult and more painful to close.

    If you need stitches again, could you maybe try calling an ambulance, and the paramedics could treat you at home without necessarily going to hospital? It might take them a while to work through the triage if it's not life-threatening, but half the time I've (well, my family) called ambos, I've been able to stay at home.

    <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I ended up going too. It wasn't an overall pleasant experience, but I don't think the cut would have healed otherwise. I think honestly if it happens again I will just call someone. I am sure if I called my friend from AA or my former sponsor, they could either take me or come up with someone who could. AA people are pretty good at that kind of thing, and it would probably be less embarrassing than an ambulance showing up at my apartment.
      Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate everything you've said recently and knowing that someone cares.

      Delete
  2. I understand why they have to ask you about being transferred to a psych ward, but on the other hand you're an adult. If you wanted a referral you'd ask for one, but that's just my opinion. And that tech was really out of order.

    But on the third hand, or foot, or whatever, the next time (oh, how I wish it weren't a next time) if it gets too deep, get it seen to asap. An infection is nothing to fool around with (been there, done that, still got the smell of infection in my nose just thinking about it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do sorta understand why they have to ask. The AMA thing just seemed a bit much when I repeatedly said I was not suicidal. I will definitely go sooner if it happens again. I know I should have handled this differently. And yeah the tech was just awful. I really wonder if she was just that clueless or.. who knows. It's funny now, but at the time I wanted her to shut up and leave and send someone else

      Delete